> The Adventures of Bella Donna: The Beginning

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Beginning

This is the story of Bella Donna, the newest member of my family.

I found her the night of December 22 online.  My parents had told me that day that they would be buying me a dog of my choice for Christmas.  I spent all day looking on Pet Finder for a puppy, and there she was.  Out of the hundreds of dogs I saw, I just couldn't get her off my mind.  She was located at the animal shelter in Decatur, which was fairly close by.  I dreamt of her all night, and then the next morning I woke up and called before the shelter was even open to see if she was still there.

Here is what she looked like in her ad.  


When I got to the shelter, she had grown, but we definitely bonded.  Ever since I took her home, she hasn't stopped following me around the house.  I can't even be in a separate room without her coming to find me.  She is pretty adorable.

But she is definitely a character.  I have never had a puppy of a large breed of dog. She is lab/ chow/ golden retriever mix and about 14 weeks according to the vet, and she is growing pretty fast.  

We recently had a battle with an infestation of intestinal worms.  That was horrifying.  She hadn't been eating much, and then one day I saw a tape worm wriggling on her poop.  I called the vet and made an appointment for the next day.  That night, she started vomiting worms! These things were more like snakes, and I am that mom that bags the samples to take to the vet.  He gave her a dewormer, and then the next day was like poltergeist.  She was pooping and vomiting snakes all day.  It was pretty disgusting. But now she is healthy and eating me out of house and home like normal.

She also experienced her first snow.  It wasn't much, but she seemed to enjoy it.  So here are some pictures of her so far.  More to come.











No comments:

Post a Comment